Sunday, October 30, 2011

This week in Music

So I had a pretty musical week here in Music City. Friday night the Avett Brothers performed at the Bridgestone Arena downtown. I've seen them twice before. The first time was at the War Memorial Auditorium, which is a VERY small venue...maybe holds 600? They were outstanding.
Saw them again a couple of years ago in Chattanooga...again...they were outstanding. (Wasn't crazy about the venue... and it held about 1,000). Then last year they performed 2 nights at the Ryman and both shows sold out very fast...so I didn't make that show. Now they had two nights at Bridgestone and they also sold out. My friend Luis had an extra ticket luckily so I got to go. I must say even though it was a HUGE place, they still performed in a very genuine intimate way...just like they always have. It was a fantastic show.
Then last night my crew of friends hit the Cannery/Mercy Lounge and saw the 80s cover band "Guilty Pleasures." This is the fourth time I've seen them, and I've enjoyed them each time as well.
If I understand correctly they are all for the most part members of other bands or do something else in the real world for a career and this is sort of a hobby...they come together and do. They are outstanding. Being Halloween they were all dressed in costumes...The Wizard of Oz and Peter Pan being some obvious choices in the photos. Then there's OUR costumes...just a big ole crazy mess. I'm a middle aged brownie...for lack of a better name. Barrett was a homeless guy (is that far from the truth?) and Kristin was the Hamburgerlar....Liz was a Greek Goddess, John was Pee Wee Herman, and Stephanie was a Hot Nun... Ryan was um...oh yea Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment